We’re hiring a new manager for The Hub! The fabulous Sarah Debraski will be leaving her role as manager of The Hub when her term ends on June 30, so YALSA is seeking a new member manager to begin July 1. (Our thanks to Sarah for the outstanding job she’s done!)
Interested in the job? Read on after the jump to see the position description and qualifications and find out how you can apply. Applications are due to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1.
Questions? Contact YALSA Web Services Manager Stephanie Kuenn at email@example.com.
YALSA is seeking a Member Manager for its YA literature-focused blog, The Hub, with the mission to provide a one-stop-shop for teens and librarians to help them locate high quality audio, video, and text content related to young adult literature.. The deadline for applications is June 1, 2011.
The Member Manager will lead an advisory board and together the group will be responsible for the site, including recruiting bloggers and soliciting content submissions from the YALSA community.
List of Qualifications:
1. Excellent verbal and written communications skills, in order to develop content and communicate with potential content providers and developers.
2. Experience in web publishing with responsibilities including but not limited to: utilizing video clips, audio, and social media, maintaining a high standard of writing, and ensuring compliance with policies created for the maintenance of the site.
3. Familiarity with WordPress, which YALSA uses for administration of blog sites; knowledge of plugins, tagging, categories, and other WordPress tools preferred
4. PHP knowledge preferred
5. Dynamic, self-motivated individual
6. Ability to delegate work and to manage a variety of contributors and volunteers
7. Strong organizational skills
8. Ability to set and meet deadlines
9. Experience in library services to young adults
10. Ability to work well in a team environment
11. Membership in YALSA
- Communicate with the Advisory Board and YALSA’s Web Services Manager on a regular basis in order to generate ideas for content, assign tasks, discuss marketing and sponsorship strategies, and discuss site management
- Work with the Website Advisory Committee and the YALSAblog Member Manager to create cross-promotion of all YALSA’s web presences
- Maintain communication with YALSA member groups whose work relates to young adult literature
- With the Advisory Board review and edit content submitted to the site to make sure the quality is acceptable and that it includes YALSA branding prior to posting, when appropriate
- With the Advisory Board manage postings regularly to guarantee quality of content and appropriate tagging and category identification
- Manage comments and spam daily in order to guarantee that the blog content is appropriate
- With the Advisory Board recruit contributors on a regular basis, which may include but is not limited to: YALSA members, publishers, authors and teens
- Meet with and provide any necessary training to contributors as needed, including at ALA’s Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting
- Attend the All Committee meeting at Midwinter and Annual to recruit contributors and inform member groups about the site
- Effectively motivate, support and manage a large and fluctuating group of contributors and volunteers
- Write reports prior to the Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting for submission to the YALSA Board
- Work with YALSA’s Web Services Manager as appropriate to update and manage blog software
- Monitor new technologies as they impact the site: add-ons and plug-ins to blog software, widgets or applications for hand-held devices, etc.
- Work with the YALS and JRLYA editors as appropriate to coordinate dissemination of information to members and the library community.
- Answer questions and inquiries about the site
- Follow all established policies and guidelines, enforce them as necessary and periodically conduct a review of them to ensure currency
The Member Manager will be selected by the YALSA Executive Committee by July 1, 2011. The term of the appointment is two years beginning in July. The Member Manager will receive an honorarium of $500 per year plus $500 towards travel to each Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting while serving as Member Manager. Candidates should send a cover letter and resume, which includes management, writing and web publishing experiences to firstname.lastname@example.org. All resumes, etc. must be submitted via email.
The deadline for submission is June 1, 2011. Please note that this is not a salaried staff position. It is a member volunteer opportunity.
You may also like:
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- The Hub Seeks New Member Manager for 2017-2018 Term - April 17, 2017
- 2017 Teens’ Top Ten Nominees Announced - April 17, 2017
- YALSA announces Morris finalists - December 9, 2011