Teen Read Week was October 16th through the 22nd, but here at The Hub, we’re celebrating all month long with 31 Days of Authors. On each day in October, we’ll bring you exclusive author interviews and profiles plus reflections on what YALSA-recognized books have meant to us. Today we feature PART ONE of a two-part post about Becca Fitzpatrick, whose book Crescendo is #3 on this year’s Teens’ Top Ten list. (Read part two)
Is it any surprise that Becca Fitzpatrick has neared the top of YALSA’s Teens’ Top Ten List this year? Her story about Angels and Nephilim, war in Heaven and on Earth–and, best of all, destined love–is compelling. And what drives her story to the top of fan charts are her genuine characters with undeniable chemistry.
Let’s take a look at her Hush, Hush series overall. What makes it so appealing to the masses?
- Spunky female protagonist (Nora) who is just different enough from the pack to be cool, but not so cool that she is swimming in friends and social perfection. And she’s descended from Nephilim (progeny of angels and humans). INTERESTING.
- A Mr. Tall, Dark, and Dangerous (Patch) that becomes infatuated with Nora for reasons not immediately known, but eventually point to “we are destined to be together.” Oh! And he just happens to be a fallen angel. NICE.
- A spunky gal-pal that “keeps it real.” WHO DOESN’T NEED A SPUNKY GAL-PAL?
- And many mysteries and villains to sort through. WITH PLENTY OF KISSES TO HEAL ANY WOUNDS :)
All over-generalizations aside, this is a story that grabs you from the very first chapter and doesn’t let go. Despite the less-than-normal story backdrop (an evolving war between Nephilim and Angels), the characters themselves are very real and genuine. And there’s plenty of chemistry between Nora and Patch. I don’t want to give too much of the story away for any readers who still haven’t had a chance to dive in, but in short, in the first book in the series, Hush, Hush, Nora finds herself drawn into the dark and dangerous world of Angels vs. Nephilim. Patch, meant to be an enemy, actually falls in love with Nora and eventually elevates himself from “fallen angel” to “guardian angel”–assigned to protect Nora of course.
Book two, Crescendo, is #3 on this year’s Teens’ Top Ten List. In Crescendo, Nora and Patch struggle to trust their love for each other, and Nora works hard to learn more about her own past and the past that Patch appears to be hiding from her. Book 2 ends, of course, with a climatic event that threatens to destroy the happiness that Nora and Patch have fought to enjoy with each other.
Book three, Silence, just hit shelves earlier this month (October 2011). And to the universal delight of Fitzpatrick’s fans, it has now been announced that there will be a surprise fourth edition to the series (title TBA) that will be released in Fall 2012. And let’s not forget the graphic novel of Hush, Hush that looks like it may come out early next year (and promises to include never before released chapters about Nora and Patch)!
You can see information about all of Fitzpatrick’s books on her web site and her blog. And you’d be remiss if you didn’t check out the very detailed official fan site created in her honor as well, where you can get information ranging from features about Becca herself to an interview with the male model who adorns the book covers in this series :) In PART TWO of my post about Becca Fitzpatrick, I will share an interview with the author herself (who is currently on tour in the UK). Look for the interview early next week!
To give you a little treat before the next part of my post, enjoy the YouTube video below, where Becca talks about how the book cover for Hush, Hush was made (very interesting…):
— Nicole, currently reading the Emma manga series
You may also like:
Latest posts by Nicole Dolat (see all)
- 2013 Hub Reading Challenge check in #16 - May 25, 2013
- 2013 Hub Reading Challenge check in #11 - April 20, 2013
- Interview with Deborah Hopkinson, author of Titanic: Voices from the Disaster - February 28, 2013