YALSA’s 2012 Best of the Best Reading Challenge Begins!
It’s now April here on the East Coast of the US, so it’s time for YALSA’s 2012 Best of the Best Reading Challenge to begin! We’re hoping the challenge will push you to read/listen to more great books than you would have–and to discover something new in a genre or category you might not have tried.
Read/listen to 25 of the 80 titles on YALSA’s 2012 Best of the Best list to finish the challenge. The list includes YA novels, audiobooks, graphic novels, and books for adults, so there’s plenty to choose from. Bonus objective: read/listen to all 80 titles to conquer the challenge!
Beyond experiencing the best of the best that YA lit has to offer if you participate in the challenge, everyone who finishes the challenge will be invited to submit a response to a book they read for the challenge. The response can be text, graphics, audio, video and will be published on The Hub. Furthermore, everyone who finishes the challenge will be entered into a random drawing for our grand prize: a YALSA tote bag full of 2011 and 2012 YA lit! (If the winner is a teacher or librarian or something similar, we’ll also include a few professional development titles.)
Challenge conquerors will receive an elite digital badge to show off how well-read they are.
- The challenge begins at 12:01AM EST on April 1 and ends at 11:59PM EST on June 30.
- Eligible books are those on YALSA’s 2012 Best of the Best list: 2012 winners and honor books for the Alex Award, Margaret A. Edwards Award, William C. Morris Award, Nonfiction Award, Odyssey Award, and Michael L. Printz Award, as well as the Top Ten Amazing Audiobooks, Best Fiction, Great Graphic Novels, Popular Paperbacks, and Quick Picks.
- Format matters: a title that has been recognized for both the print version and the audiobook version can be both read and listened to and count as two books, but a book that has won multiple awards or appears on multiple lists in the same format only counts as one title. If a book was recognized as a print version, listening to the audiobook does not count.
- Books must be read/listened to (both begun and finished) within the challenge time period. If you’ve already read/listened to a title, you must re-read/listen to it for it to count.
- Just about everyone who doesn’t work for ALA is eligible to participate. Yes, non-ALA/YALSA members are eligible. Yes, teens are eligible. Yes, non-US residents/citizens are eligible. (More eligibility questions? Leave a comment or email us.)
- Once you finish the challenge, we’ll contact you with details about creating and publishing your response.
- The grand prize winner will be selected by 11:59pm EST on July 2. The winner will be notified via email.
How to participate
- Comment here announcing your intention to participate. If you’re going to be tracking what you read/listen to on your blog, Goodreads, LibraryThing, YouTube or some other site, include a link to your blog/shelf/channel/profile in your comment. If you’re not tracking your reading online, keep a list some other way.
- You may “register” by leaving a comment here and starting your reading any time during the challenge period.
- Every Saturday, we’ll publish a check-in post. Leave a comment with everything you’ve read/listened to since the last check-in post. If you’ve reviewed those titles somewhere online, include links to those reviews! Otherwise, let us know what you thought of the books in the comments.
- If you’ve finished the challenge since the last check-in post, fill out the embedded form with your name and contact information. This is how you’ll receive your Finisher’s Badge, how you’ll be contacted about your reader’s response, and how you’ll be entered into the drawing for our grand prize. Please fill out the form only once.
- If you’ve conquered the challenge, let us know in the comments and we’ll send you your Conqueror’s Badge.
Sound good? If you have any questions or problems, let us know in the comments or via email. Otherwise, grab this Participant’s Badge, put it on your blog or in your email signature, and get reading!