Sneak Peek: YA Lit at ALA Midwinter 2013
Thousands of librarians, library workers, and vendors will converge on Seattle in just one week for ALA’s 2013 Midwinter Meeting. The long weekend will be full of educational sessions, committee meetings, author appearances, and the crowning glory for youth lit lovers: the Youth Media Awards announcement.
If you’re going to Midwinter, try to work these YA lit-related events into your schedule (all times are in Pacific Time):
- Research on Teens and Libraries panel (Friday, 4:00PM to 5:00PM)
- Trends in YA presentation (Saturday, 4:30PM-5:30PM)
- Best Fiction for Young Adults teen feedback session (Sunday, 1:30PM to 3:30PM)
- Youth Media Awards (Monday, 7:45AM to 9:15AM)
- Morris and Nonfiction Award presentation (Monday, 10:30AM-12:00PM)
- Lots of publisher preview events in the exhibit hall
- Author appearances in the exhibit hall and auditorium
Additionally, while YALSA’s award committee meetings are closed, the selected list committee meetings are open, so if you want to see just how the titles on lists like Best Fiction for Young Adults, Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, Fabulous Films for Young Adults, Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults, or Great Graphic Novels for Teens are chosen, sit in on a selected list meeting! (You can find these sessions in the Midwinter Scheduler.)
For those of you who won’t be in Seattle next week, even if you can’t be part of the action, you can follow along here on The Hub: we’ll be liveblogging the BFYA teen feedback session and the YMAs jointly with the YALSAblog. You can also watch the YMAs live on ALA’s website. Once Midwinter is over, we’ll have summaries and wrap-ups of these great events.