YALSA’s 2013 Hub Reading Challenge Begins!
It’s now February 3 here on the East Coast of the US, so it’s time for YALSA’s 2013 Hub Reading Challenge to begin! We’re hoping the challenge will push you to read/listen to more great books than you would have — and to discover something new in a genre or category you might not have tried.
Read/listen to 25 of the 83 titles on our list of eligible titles [pdf] to finish the challenge. The list includes YA novels, audiobooks, graphic novels, and books for adults, so there’s plenty to choose from. Bonus objective: read/listen to all 83 titles to conquer the challenge!
Beyond experiencing the best of the best that YA lit has to offer, everyone who finishes the challenge will be invited to submit a response to a book they read for the challenge. The response can be text, graphics, audio, video and will be published on The Hub. Furthermore, everyone who finishes the challenge will be entered into a random drawing for our grand prize: a YALSA tote bag full of 2012 and 2013 YA lit! (If the winner is a teacher or librarian or something similar, we’ll also include a few professional development titles.)
Challenge conquerors will receive an elite digital badge to show off how well-read they are.
- The challenge begins at 12:01AM EST on February 3 and ends at 11:59PM EST on June 22.
- Eligible books are the YA titles that were named winners or honor titles for the Schneider Family Book Award and the Stonewall Book Award and those on YALSA’s 2013 Best of the Best list (2013 winners and honor books for the Alex Award, Award for Excellence in Nonfiction, Margaret A. Edwards Award, Michael L. Printz Award, Odyssey Award, and William C. Morris Award, as well as the 2013 Top Ten Amazing Audiobooks, Best Fiction, Great Graphic Novels, Popular Paperbacks, and Quick Picks. Middle grade titles recognized by these lists and awards are not included in the list of eligible titles for this challenge.
- Format matters: a title that has been recognized for both the print version and the audiobook version can be both read and listened to and count as two books, but a book that has won multiple awards or appears on multiple lists in the same format only counts as one title. If a book was recognized as a print version, listening to the audiobook does not count.
- Books must be read/listened to (both begun and finished) within the challenge time period. If you’ve already read/listened to a title, you must re-read/listen to it for it to count. The only exception is for titles you read for the Morris/Nonfiction Reading Challenge; you may count those toward your 25 titles.
- Just about everyone who doesn’t work for ALA is eligible to participate. Yes, non-ALA/YALSA members are eligible. Yes, teens are eligible. Yes, non-US residents/citizens are eligible. (More eligibility questions? Leave a comment or email us.)
- Once you finish the challenge, we’ll contact you with details about creating and publishing your response.
- The grand prize winner will be selected by 11:59pm EST on June 24. The winner will be notified via email.
How to participate
- Comment here announcing your intention to participate. If you’re going to be tracking what you read/listen to on your blog or on Goodreads, LibraryThing, YouTube or some other site, include a link to your blog/shelf/channel/profile in your comment. If you’re not tracking your reading online, keep a list some other way.
- You may “register” by leaving a comment here and starting your reading any time during the challenge period.
- Every Saturday, we’ll publish a check-in post. Leave a comment with everything you’ve read/listened to since the last check-in post. If you’ve reviewed those titles somewhere online, include links to those reviews! Otherwise, let us know what you thought of the books in the comments.
- If you’ve finished the challenge since the last check-in post, fill out the embedded form with your name and contact information. This is how you’ll receive your Finisher’s Badge, how you’ll be contacted about your reader’s response, and how you’ll be entered into the drawing for our grand prize. Please fill out the form only once.
- If you’ve conquered the challenge, let us know in the comments and we’ll send you your Conqueror’s Badge.
Sound good? If you have any questions or problems, let us know in the comments or via email. Otherwise, grab this Participant’s Badge, put it on your blog or in your email signature, and get reading!