Cassandra Clare by the Numbers
It’s hard to believe that Cassandra Clare’s first book, City of Bones, came out less than six years ago on March 27, 2007. Oh, how far Ms. Clare has come — from writing Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fanfiction online to the release today of her eighth book, Clockwork Princess, which has a staggering first print run of one million copies.
Cassandra Clare has had a pretty big year. Clockwork Princess has seen one of the most ambitious and creative marketing strategies to date. Hype over The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie release is already simmering in anticipation for August. And Clare has announced that she has started work on a new trilogy set in Los Angeles. Read on to find out everything you need to know about the books and upcoming movie.
Cassandra Clare: Worldwide, Bestselling Author
- 16 million: The number of Cassandra Clare books in print worldwide
- 35: The number of languages that Cassandra Clare’s books have been translated into
- 6 million: The number of copies of The Infernal Devices series currently in print (not counting Clockwork Princess)
- 750,000: Number of copies in the first printing of Clockwork Prince, which was the largest printing of one of Clare’s books at that point
- 1 million: The number of copies in the first printing of Clockwork Princess — 33 percent more than Clockwork Prince
- 2015: The year that Cassandra Clare’s newest Shadowhunter book series, The Dark Artifices, will be released. Set in present-day Los Angeles, the series stars powerful Shadowhunter Emma Carstairs and her fighting (and romantic?) partner Julian Blackthorn
Cassandra Clare, Marketing Maven
- 30,000: The number of tweets with the hashtag #ClockworkPrincess that came in during the first two hours after Margaret K. McElderry books announced that every tweet bearing that hashtag would lead to another small piece of the new book’s cover getting revealed on its website
- 4 hours: The amount of time it took for Clare’s fans to hit the mark of 100,000 tweets with the hashtag #ClockworkPrincess to reveal the cover. The publisher revealed approximately one pixel for every 100 tweets received.
- 560,000: The number of tweets sent with the hashtag #ClockworkPrincess in 27 hours after the publisher announced another similar challenge — this one to reveal the first chapter of Clockwork Princess. The publisher revealed one word for every tweet received.
Cassandra Clare, Social Media Queen
- 115,000+: Number of people following Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- 131,000+: Number of people who are fans of Cassandra Clare on Facebook
- 316,000+: Number of people who are fans of the Mortal Instruments series on Facebook
- 28,000+: Number of people who are fans of the Infernal Devices series on Facebook
- 4,990: Number of people who are part of the ShadowHunters community on Facebook
Cassandra Clare, Movie Mogul
- 157: Number of days until The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie hits theaters on August 23, 2013
- 55: Days spent filming the movie this summer in Toronto and Ontario, Canada and New York City.
- 1.7 million: Number of times The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones trailer has been viewed on YouTube since its release on November 16, 2012
- 378,000+: Number of people who are fans of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie on Facebook
- 3: The number of months Jamie Campbell Bower spent working out to perfect Jace’s lean, muscular physique before filming began
— Annie Schutte, currently reading Wonder Show by Hannah Barnaby