Want to be on the Edwards, Nonfiction, or Printz Award Committee?
Although the 2013 spring election to select the new members of the Edwards, Nonfiction, and Printz Award Committees wrap up today, the 2014 Award Nominating Committee (members are Joy Kim, Stephanie Anne Squicciarini, Patti Tjomsland, Rollie Welch, and Pam Spencer Holley) is already at work collecting and vetting viable candidates for the spring election in 2014, a process which will continue through August of this year when candidate names are submitted to the YALSA Board.
If you, or another YALSA member you know, has always wanted to serve on either the Edwards, Nonfiction, or Printz award committee, then the first thing to do is…
- View the websites for each of these awards (Edwards, Nonfiction, Printz) to review their purpose and requirements.
- Watch the free webinar about what serving on an awards or selection committee entails
- Read this YALS article “How to Succeed on a YA Book Committee”
- Talk to previous or current awards committee members
Still interested? Now see if you, or your nominee, can answer yes to the following questions:
Do I/does my nominee…
- work well with others?
- have interest and extensive experience with young adult literature?
- have enough free time away from work and family for all the reading and other demands?
- have previous service on YALSA committees, preferably selection committees?
- have no conflicts of interest in accordance with YALSA’s Award and Selection Committee Conflict of Interest Policy?
- have good time management and organization skills?
- have the highest ethical standards?
If you’ve answered yes to all these questions, then it’s time to fill out an award committee nominating form, no later than June 30.
If selected to run, your name would appear on the ballot for election in spring of 2014 and your term would start February 1, 2015. Questions? Please contact the chair at email@example.com.
– Pam Spencer Holley