I belong to a book club where we do a role call to see what everyone is reading. I am always interested to know what other people are reading or waiting to readâ€“ but just knowing what is popular in Ohio or the whole United States no longer satisfies my curiosity. I want to know what teens are reading all over the world.
Ukraine is the largest country entirely within Europe. Their nation, like Russia, divides land into provinces they call oblasts. Ukraine is a country of 45,000,000 people. It’s capital and largest city Kiev has a population of 3,000,000 of people. Kiev is home to the Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine. It houses over 15 million items. (Library) Ukrainian is the main language but they recognize 18 regional languages including a lot I had not heard of like Crimean Tatar, Krymchak and Rusyn. (Ukraine) About 7,000,000 people, or 14.5% of the population are 14 years of age or young. Which makes me wonder: what are all of them reading?
- Where do you work?
- What are the most popular titles for teens at your library right now?
- What genres are most popular with your library’s teens?
- What languages are the books in your teen collection?
- Do your teens prefer to read print novels or ebooks?
I hope to learn and share about teen reading around the world. If you or someone you know lives overseas and works as a teacher or librarian with teens, please message me so I can do a post about the country they live in. To learn more about what other teens are reading, check out my previous posts What Are You Reading, Russia?
-Laura C Perenic, currently reading The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
You may also like:
Latest posts by Laura Perenic (see all)
- YA Lit Dream Interpretation: Spiders - May 28, 2015
- YA Lit Dream Interpretation: Snakes - April 23, 2015
- 2015 Morris Award: An Interview with Finalist Len Vlahos - January 29, 2015