What Would They Read? The Vampire Diaries
The Vampire Diaries based on the L.J. Smith book series is one of the CW’s top rated shows, airing Thursday nights at 8:00 pm. The show is currently in its fifth season and already has a successfully delicious spinoff, The Originals. The show centers around Elena Gilbert, a well liked high school student, who survives the car crash that kills her parents. The Salvatore brothers are vampires who return to Mystic Falls and end up in a love triangle with the aforementioned heroine. What’s a girl to do with so many suitors? Well thank goodness she has two best friends who have a high tolerance for crazy supernatural occurrences, Bonnie and Caroline, to help a girl out. Now, given that this show is in its fifth season and has a particular knack for insane plot twists, there is far more that could be said about the characters in Mystic Falls, but there is no way to do that without getting far too spoilerish. Just know that The Vampire Diaries is a delectable supernatural romance roller coaster ride with a fabulous cast of characters. With that said, have you ever wondered what would be on one of those character’s e-readers or on the Salvatore book shelf? What are they reading in between those breakups, make-ups, and near death experiences?
Here is my recommended reading list for a few of our favorite TVD characters:
- Elena Gilbert – Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys – For the girl in love with two guys who have been alive for hundreds of years, let’s suggest a little historical fiction circa World War II. The story follows, Lina, a fifteen year old Lithuanian girl, struggles to survive in a turbulent Soviet Union. This 2012 Morris Award finalist is a story about family, survival and hope all of which should strike a chord with our favorite TVD heroine.
- Stefan Salvatore – The Fault in Our Stars by John Green – No one seems to value humanity in Mystic Falls more then the youngest Salvatore. He’s also romantic– he did, after all, follow his crush all the way back to high school for the umpteenth time. He seems the most likely to appreciate the popular story of Hazel and Augustus whose lives change when they meet in a Cancer Kid Support Group. (The Fault in Our Stars is a 2013 Best Fiction for Young Adults selection.)
- Damon Salvatore – Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte – The resident brooding serial killer with a heart could definitely identify with the passionate tale of Heathcliff and Catherine.
- Bonnie Bennett - Cahill Witch Chronicles by Jessica Spotswood – The resident witch of Mystic Falls just might enjoy this series of books following a prophesized family of persecuted witches. Cate, Maura and Tess are sisters trying to protect each other and explore their growing magical powers in this alternate history of New England.
- Caroline Forbes – Beauty Queens by Libba Bray – The cheerleader with a bite(pun intended) needs a book packed with action and humor. Nothing says vampire cheerleader quite like a pack of beauty pageant contestants dropped on an island fighting for survival. (Beauty Queens is a 2012 Best Fiction for Young Adults selection.)
Your turn, readers. What other books do you think our favorite TVD characters should be reading?
~Katie Shanahan Yu, currently reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black