The Hub Celebrates Thesaurus Day
Happy Thesaurus Day!
While not necessarily a well-known holiday, Thesaurus Day is celebrated on January 18, the birthday of Peter Mark Roget, creator of Roget’s Thesaurus.
The original version of Roget’s thesaurus, created in 1805 and released in 1852, contained 15,000 words. Over the years, the thesaurus has grown, adding thousands of additional words and synonyms. These days, in addition to print versions of the thesaurus, wordsmiths are able to access the Roget’s thesaurus online through Thesaurus.com. If you are interested in a historical perspective, a 1911 version has been cataloged as part of the ARTFL Project through the University of Chicago.
We’re celebrating a day early here on The Hub by using the thesaurus to swap words in some popular YA titles. See if you can figure out the original titles and then scroll down to check!
- The Tome Bandit
- The Bonus of Being a Loner
- Papyrus Municipalities
- An Excellent and Dreadful Virtue
- The Insanity Below
- Swivel Spot
- The Examining
- Break Me
- The Choice
- A Chain of Ill-fated Happenings.
- Gorgeous Critters
- Audrey, Halt!
- The Commander of the Loops
- Thirteen Rationales of Cause
- The Categorically Bona Fide Journal of a Part-Time Native American
- The Sorority of the Roving Trousers
- 13 Slight Azure Pockets
- The Starvation Sports
- The Accuracy Referring to Always
- The Labyrinth Sprinter
- Granted That I Stick Around
- The Book Thief by Marcus Markus Zusak
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- Paper Towns by John Green
- A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
- The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson
- Pivot Point by Kasie West
- The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
- Allegiant by Veronica Roth
- Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
- Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
- Forever… by Judy Blume
- 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman
- Matched by Ally Condie
Have some fun exploring Thesaurus.com and see what you can come up. Share your favorites in the comment below!
– Jessica Lind, currently reading Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo