The Hub Celebrates Thesaurus Day
Happy Thesaurus Day!
While not necessarily a well-known holiday, Thesaurus Day is celebrated on January 18, the birthday of Peter Mark Roget, creator of Roget’s Thesaurus.
The original version of Roget’s thesaurus, created in 1805 and released in 1852, contained 15,000 words. Over the years, the thesaurus has grown, adding thousands of additional words and synonyms. These days, in addition to print versions of the thesaurus, wordsmiths are able to access the Roget’s thesaurus online through Thesaurus.com. If you are interested in a historical perspective, a 1911 version has been cataloged as part of the ARTFL Project through the University of Chicago.
We’re celebrating a day early here on The Hub by usingÂ the thesaurus to swap words in some popular YA titles. See if you can figure out the original titles and then scroll down to check!
- The Tome Bandit
- The Bonus of Being a Loner
- Papyrus Municipalities
- An Excellent and Dreadful Virtue
- The Insanity Below
- Swivel Spot
- The Examining
- Break Me
- The Choice
- A Chain of Ill-fated Happenings.
- Gorgeous Critters
- Audrey, Halt!
- The Commander of the Loops
- Thirteen Rationales of Cause
- The Categorically Bona Fide Journal of a Part-Time Native American
- The Sorority of the Roving Trousers
- 13 Slight Azure Pockets
- The Starvation Sports
- The Accuracy Referring to Always
- The Labyrinth Sprinter
- Granted That I Stick Around
- The Book ThiefÂ Â Â by Marcus Markus Zusak
- The Perks of Being a WallflowerÂ Â Â by Stephen Chbosky
- Paper TownsÂ Â Â by John Green
- A Great and Terrible BeautyÂ Â Â by Libba Bray
- The Madness UnderneathÂ Â Â by Maureen Johnson
- Pivot PointÂ Â Â by Kasie West
- The TestingÂ Â Â by Joelle Charbonneau
- AllegiantÂ Â Â by Veronica Roth
- Shatter MeÂ Â Â by Tahereh Mafi
- The SelectionÂ Â Â by Kiera Cass
- SpeakÂ Â Â by Laurie Halse Anderson
- A Series of Unfortunate EventsÂ Â Â by Lemony Snicket
- Beautiful CreaturesÂ Â Â by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
- Audrey, Wait!Â Â Â by Robin Benway
- The Lord of the RingsÂ Â Â by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Thirteen Reasons WhyÂ Â Â by Jay Asher
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time IndianÂ Â Â by Sherman Alexie
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling PantsÂ Â Â by Ann Brashares
- Forever…Â Â Â by Judy Blume
- 13 Little Blue EnvelopesÂ Â Â by Maureen Johnson
- The Hunger GamesÂ Â Â by Suzanne Collins
- The Truth About ForeverÂ Â Â by Sarah Dessen
- The Maze RunnerÂ Â Â by James Dashner
- If I StayÂ Â Â by Gayle Forman
- MatchedÂ Â Â by Ally Condie
Have some fun exploring Thesaurus.com and see what you can come up. Share your favorites in the comment below!
– Jessica Lind, currently reading Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo