Nearly two years ago, I made this graphic guide to LGBTQ titles in order to give an overview of the variety of YA literature that features queer characters, from coming out stories to sci-fi adventures. Campaigns like We Need Diverse Books have brought even more attention to the need for diversity in children’s publishing, as well as called for more books that feature characters with intersecting identities.
I’m happy to say all of this means that the graphic was in need of an update. There have been lots of new titles published, and I wanted to make it more comprehensive (though by all means, still not exhaustive).
These books aren’t necessarily right for every reader, and don’t constitute the best, or the only, LGBTQIA+ fiction for young adults available. But it is a good starting off point for those interested in exploring the way these identities are portrayed in YA fiction. In some, the LGBTQ characters are the narrators, and in others, they are more supporting characters.
I’ve tried to include a variety in each category, and also to best situate a book in a genre (though, because of blurring and mixing of genres, some are of course debatable). Again, these are meant to be a broad sample, rather than a definitive list.
For further resources on LGBTQIA+ or QUILTBAG fiction (whichever acronym you prefer), check out the following websites and booklists:
- Malinda Lo’s blog
- GAY YA
- Diversity in YA
- Lee Wind’s blog
- Trans* Titles for Young Adults, compiled by Talya Sokoll in the Summer 2013 edition of YALS
- ALA’s Stonewall Book Award, honoring the best in LGBTQ fiction
- The 1997 Popular Paperbacks list “Gay/Lesbian Tales”, for older titles
- The 2014 Popular Paperbacks Nominees for “GLBTQ: Books with Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer-questioning, Intersexed, Asexual individuals, and Their Allies”
- The ALA’s GLBT Roundtable’s Rainbow Books Lists
Please share your favorite titles or comments below!
– Molly Wetta, currently reading Wake by Lisa McMann
You may also like:
Latest posts by Molly Wetta (see all)
- Fantasy and Tabletop Gaming Resources for Teen Library Collections - April 25, 2017
- Update on Quick Picks and Amazing Audiobooks @ The Hub - April 18, 2017
- Announcing the 2017 Hub Reading Challenge! - February 4, 2017