Happy Friday, Hubbers! There’s been A LOT of exciting news this week regarding new movies, new book deals, and more. Plus – Chipotle! Our precious Bachelor in Paradise might be over for the season, but ICYMI, I’m here to compile all the other fun and interesting news here just for you! Here’s your Week in Review for Friday, September 18th.
Books & Reading
- Yes!! The National Book Award longlist for Young People’s Literature was announced on Monday. I’ve already read a couple of these titles, and I’m so excited to read the rest. Plus – for the first time ever, a webcomic is one of the finalists – Noelle Stevenson’s Nimona.
- Did you love Ava Dellaira’s book Love Letters to the Dead? Well, I sure did, and so do so many of my teens. Fortunately, she has a new book coming out in 2018 (no, it has to be now!!) titled 17 Years. It sounds so awesome.
- Speaking of M.T. Anderson (see my first bullet point!) – he, along with a few other great authors (Lois Lowry! Mary Roach!) are contributing short written works for Chipotle’s Cultivating Thought series featured on their bags & cups. A great way to be introduced to new authors while inhaling a burrito.
- Have you checked out this blog: Reading While White? Dhonielle Clayton, co-author of the amazing book, Tiny Pretty Things, shared it via her Twitter feed. First post was Tuesday, and I can’t wait to read more.
- One more thing from Twitter: Do you or teens you know love Sherlock? I’m assuming Yes! Then, you need to get Lock & Mori in their hands immediately – it just had its book birthday on Tuesday. Check out Heather Perry’s Twitter feed for more news about this awesome tale of Sherlock as a teenager!
- TokyoPop is getting back in the manga game and has a new self-publishing app coming in 2016.
- Bill Koningsberg, author of Openly Straight and The Porcupine of Truth, is on tour visiting schools and librarians to talk talk about how suicide isn’t the answer for anyone, gay or straight, and he shares his response to being asked to not emphasize the “gay” parts at one school on the Huffington Post blog.
Movies, TV, Music & Video Games
- Guess what’s being made into a movie (finally!) – Lauren Oliver’s great story of redemption, love, and letting go – Before I Fall.
- The music of my teenage years is getting a brand new reissue and streaming ability. We welcome you, Bikini Kill. For teens who are asking about feminism – show it to ’em – 90s Riot Grrrl style.
- Speaking of feminism…have you checked out the Feminist Frequency’s newest installment in their Tropes vs. Women in Video Games series, “Women as Reward”? A bit NSFW, but informative and important.
- New Allegiant teaser trailer! Check it out here!
- Time spend using apps is surpassing the time Americans spend watching TV.
- 10 Anime series you need to watch, via Buzzfeed.
Just for Fun
- Samantha Bee was perfect on Twitter in response to Vanity Fair’s picture of the “Titans of Late Night” (hint: all the titans are men).
- From Playboy.com (Maybe read this at home – just because of who’s hosting the article), former The Mary Sue editor-in-chief, Jill Pantozzi tells us “It’s Okay to Break Up With Pop Culture You Used to Love.”
Any news we missed? Let us know in the comments!
— Traci Glass, currently reading Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad by M.T. Anderson