Books & Reading
- Writer Nita Tyndall started an important discussion this week with her personal experience with being a queer girl looking to find herself reflected in young adult literature.
- This Psychology Today article sheds some light on why many adult readers may be drawn to YA literature.
- Andrea Sowers at Teen Services Underground shares a great way to provide passive readers’ advisory in the stacks with these RA booklets.
- Eight books to get you hooked on historical fiction from the Penguin Teen tumblr.
- A new Pew Research Study looked at video games and gaming culture, and looked specifically about attitudes regarding two issues: women in gaming culture and the purported link between playing violent video games and committing violent acts in real live. The results are interesting, and worth a read.
- This post at The Mary Sue from activist and gamer Kiva Bay on body type and image and character creation in video games is worth a read.
- Extra lives just don’t hold weight in modern video games.
Movies & TV
- Who is seeing Star Wars this weekend? Just don’t spoil it for those who have to wait, okay?
- Fuller House has a trailer and a premiere date.
- The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them trailer was also revealed!
Comics & Graphic Novels
- So you want to get into high brow comics? Guardian has a guide.
- But don’t worry—there are great comics for every type of reader.
- Let’s talk about how excited we are for Holly Black’s Sandman spin-off Lucifer.
Any other news we missed this week? Share a link in the comments!
— Molly Wetta, currently reading The Weight of Feather by Ann-Marie McLemore for the Hub’s Morris and Nonfiction Award Finalists Reading Challenge!
You may also like:
Latest posts by Molly Wetta (see all)
- Volunteer for YALSA Book List Committees and Selected Lists! - August 7, 2017
- Fantasy and Tabletop Gaming Resources for Teen Library Collections - April 25, 2017
- Update on Quick Picks and Amazing Audiobooks @ The Hub - April 18, 2017