A huge thank you goes out to The Hub’s current member manager, Molly Wetta for all the great work she’s put into the blog since 2015. Thanks so much, Molly! As Molly will be leaving her role as member manager in August of this year, YALSA is seeking a new member manager to begin August 15, with training starting late July.
Interested in the position? Read on after the jump to see the position description and qualifications and find out how you can apply. Applications including a cover letter and resume are due to email@example.com by
June 1, 2017 July 1, 2017. Please note that this is not a salaried staff position, but a member volunteer opportunity. YALSA membership is required for this position.
The Member Manager will lead an advisory board and together the group will be responsible for the site, including recruiting bloggers and soliciting content submissions from the YALSA community. Also, new this year, the member manager will also finish the process of transitioning the selected book lists to The Hub.
List of Qualifications:
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to delegate work and to manage a variety of contributors and volunteers
- Dynamic, self-motivated individual
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, in order to develop content and communicate with potential content providers
- Experience in web publishing with responsibilities including but not limited to: utilizing video clips, audio, and social media, maintaining a high standard of writing, and ensuring compliance with policies created for the maintenance of the site
- Knowledge of HTML and WordPress, which YALSA uses for administration of blog sites; as well as knowledge of plugins, tagging, categories, and other WordPress tools
- PHP knowledge a plus
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of best practices and current trends in collection development for and with teens in libraries
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work well in a mostly virtual setting, including using tools such as Google Drive, Google Calendar, Skype, etc. to coordinate work and communicate with others
- Personal membership in YALSA
- A commitment to advancing the recommendations YALSA outlined in its report, The Future of Library Services for and with Teens: a Call to Action.
- A commitment to advancing and supporting YALSA’s new mission and three-year organizational plan.
- High ethical standards and no real or perceived conflict of interest with YALSA or its portfolio of print and web publications
General Member Manager Responsibilities:
Oversight & Coordination
- Communicate with the Advisory Board and YALSA’s Communications Specialist on a regular basis to generate ideas for content, assign tasks, discuss marketing strategies, and discuss site management
- Work with the YALS and JRLYA editors and YALSAblog manager as appropriate to coordinate dissemination of information to members and the library community.
- Maintain communication with YALSA member groups whose work relates to collection development and content curation
- Oversee the remaining transition period of moving YALSA’s selected lists to The Hub
- Follow all established policies and guidelines, enforce them as necessary and periodically conduct a review of them to ensure currency
- Direct questions about sponsorships, advertising, etc. to YALSA’s Executive Director
- Develop a calendar for content, based on YALSA events and activities as well as those going on in the larger community related to library materials for and with teens
- Write reports prior to the Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting for submission to the YALSA Board of Directors
Seek Out & Manage Content & Contributors
- With the Advisory Board review and edit content submitted to the site to make sure the quality is acceptable, that it is aligned with YALSA principles, and that it includes YALSA branding prior to posting, when appropriate
- With the Advisory Board manage postings regularly to guarantee quality of content and appropriate tagging and category identification
- With the Advisory Board recruit contributors on a regular basis, which may include but is not limited to: YALSA members, authors and teens
- Communicate regularly with bloggers to solicit content, share news, motivate bloggers, develop a blogging schedule, etc.
- Interact with and provide any necessary training to contributors as needed, including at ALA’s Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting and via virtual means
- Effectively motivate, support and manage a large and fluctuating group of contributors and volunteers
- Work with the advisory board to manage comments and spam daily to guarantee that the blog content is appropriate
- Attend Midwinter and Annual to recruit contributors and inform member groups about the site
- Answer questions and inquiries about the site in a timely fashion
- Work with the Website Advisory Committee and the YALSAblog Member Manager to create cross-promotion of all YALSA’s web presences
- Utilize social media to increase awareness of the Hub and its content
- Work with YALSA’s Communications Specialist as appropriate to update and manage blog software
- Monitor new technologies as they impact the site: add-ons and plug-ins to blog software, widgets or applications for hand-held devices, etc.
Selected Book Lists and Bloggers
- Select bloggers and coordinators for YALSA’s book lists: Amazing Audiobooks, Quick Picks, Best Fiction, and Great Graphic Novels for the Hub from volunteer applications with support from YALSA staff
- With Coordinators, facilitate the work of these blogging groups on The Hub by communicating with bloggers about editing and scheduling of reviews
- Support the dissemination and promotion of final lists
- Work with the Advisory and the Award and Selected List Oversight Committee will oversee blogger training and leverage existing YALSA resources to do so, and develop new as needed
- Provide a template and sample posts.
- Communicate regularly with selected list Coordinators
- Work with the Advisory Board will update and/or create guidelines for the Hub, including public comment guidelines
- Sit in on virtual meetings of blogger groups, as needed
- Offer guidance, support, and expertise for Coordinators throughout term as needed
- Communicates with YALSA Board and staff regarding the possible need to expand into a co-manager format, and/or increase the size or change the make-up of the Advisory Board
- Communicates with YALSA staff regarding any possible back-end improvements needed to the site to accommodate the selected list effort
The Member Manager will be selected by the YALSA Executive Committee by July 1, 2017. The term of the appointment is one year beginning August 15, with an option to renew for a second year, based on performance. The Member Manager will receive an honorarium of $500 per year plus $500 towards travel to each Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting while serving as Member Manager. Candidates must send a cover letter and resume, which includes management, writing and web publishing experiences to firstname.lastname@example.org. All resumes, etc. must be submitted via email. The deadline for submission is June 1, 2017. Please note that this is not a salaried staff position, but a member volunteer opportunity.
You may also like:
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Vote now for the 2018 Teens’ Top Ten! - August 16, 2018
- Apply now for the 2018 Teens’ Top Ten Book Giveaway! - April 4, 2018
- 2018 Teen Read Week™ theme Announced! - March 15, 2018