The 2020 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers list has been announced.
The list of 64 titles is drawn from 133 official nominations, which were posted and discussed in blog posts on The Hub. The list identifies titles aimed at encouraging reading among teens who dislike to read.
- 10 Blind Dates by Ashley Elston. Disney: Hyperion. 2019. $17.99. ISBN:9781368027496.
- Belly Up by Eva Darrows. HarperCollins Inkyard Press. 2019. $18.99. ISBN:9781335012357.
- The Haunted by Danielle Vega. Razorbill. 2019. $17.99. ISBN: 978-0451481467.
- Heroine by Mindy McGinnis. Katherine Tegen Books. 2019. $17.99. ISBN: 9780062847195.
- Kiss Number 8 by Colleen AF Venable. Macmillan Roaring Brook Press/First Second. 2019. $17.99 ISBN:9781596437098.
- Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell. Art by Faith Erin Hicks. First Second. 2019. $21.99. ISBN: 9781250312853.
- Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen McManus. Delacorte Press. 2019. $19.99. ISBN: 978-1524714727.
- The Unfortunates by Kim Liggett. Tor Teen. 2018. $17.99 ISBN: 9780765381002.
- UNpregnant by Jenni Hendriks and Ted Caplan. Harper Collins. 2019. $17.99. ISBN: 978-0062876249.
- We Are Displaced: My Journey and Stories From Refugee Girls Around the World by Malala Yousafzai. Hachette Book Group. 2018. $18.99. ISBN: 978-0316523646.
“For the 2020 list, team bloggers read a wide variety of fiction and nonfiction titles, in multiple formats, to establish a diverse list that reflects student interest,” said Coordinator Lorrie Roussin. “Our blogging team read hundreds of books and discussed all of the nominated titles in a virtual setting. A blog post was written for each nominated title and published to YALSA’s The Hub.”
The suggestion form for the 2021 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers list is open. If you’d like to suggest a title to the blogging team for consideration as a nominee, please fill out the form.
YALSA would like to extend a huge thank you to the members of the Quick Picks blogging team for all the hard work they put into selecting the titles for the 2020 list. Thank you again for everything!
The members of the Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers Blogging Team are: Coordinator Lorraine Roussin, San Antonio ISD, San Antonio, TX; Kathleen J. Barker, Rutgers University, Plymouth, MI; Allison Gray, Goleta Valley Library, Santa Barbara, CA; Aimee Haslam, E.B. Stanley Middle School, Abingdon, VA; Jessica Levy, Los Angeles Public Library, Los Angeles, CA; Elizabeth Nebeker, Jersey Village High School, Houston, TX; Catherine Outten, California State University, Long Beach, CA; Kathleen Reynolds, University of Southern California, South Pasadena, CA; Jessica Smith, Bend Senior High School, Bend, Oregon; Kelsey Socha, Ventress Memorial Library, Kingston, MA; and with the help of administrative assistant Dana Hutchins, Jackson Middle School, San Antonio, TX.
You may also like:
Latest posts by Anna Lam (see all)
- 2020 Teens’ Top Ten Nominees Announced - April 27, 2020
- 2020 Best Fiction for Young Adults List Announced - January 24, 2020
- YALSA announces 2020 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers - January 8, 2020