On 11/24/10, Gayle Forman posted on the NPR web site a short list of what she considers â€œthe year’s best teen reads.â€ Her list stayed away from fantasy or popular â€œdark romanceâ€ books and focused on â€œjust real people in real situations with real emotions that we all can relate to.â€ Seeing her list, of course, compelled me to think back on my year of reading. What were my favorite discoveries in 2010? What trends did I see in my own choices? And what have others noted as their recent favorites and/or â€œbest ofâ€ picks from 2010?
Just a small sampling of some interesting recommendations/lists you may want to check out in addition to Gayle Forman’s list (as noted above):
- â€œBest Books to Give Kids…Even Those You Don’t Know Very Wellâ€ (Lisa Von Drasek, EarlyWord.com)
- â€œThe Best and Worst Manga of 2010â€ (Gia Manry, AnimeNewsNetwork.com)
- â€œFavorite Books of the Year (2010)â€ (Teenreads.com reviewers)
- â€œBest YA Books of 2010: A Literary Mixtapeâ€ (Jason Boog, GalleyCat Reviews)
- â€œThe Best Manga of 2010â€ (Katherine Dacey, MangaCritic.com)
- â€œYALSA’s Teens’ Top Ten (2010)â€ (Following this link will also lead you to a wealth of other lists recommended by YALSA â€“ just look to the left of the page for the other available menu options/listsâ€¦)
What were some of MY favorite reads/discoveries from 2010 (and some not-so favorites)?