In the summer 2013 issue of YALS, Robin Brenner explains the world of fan fiction and fandom. In her article Robin talks about a panel presentation she took part in during the YALSA YA Literature Symposium in November of 2012. You can view Robin’s slides from that presentation titled Fandom and YA Literature.
Along with the presentation, Robin created a helpful list of resources on the same topic. Check them out:
Fan Culture Articles
- When Harry Met Bella by Liz Burns and Carlie Webber, School Library Journal, August 1, 2009.
- The Boy Who Lived Forever by Lev Grossman, Time, July 7, 2011.
- All Shapes of Hunger, Teenagers and Fanfiction by Rebecca C. Moore, VOYA, April 2005.
- Too Good to be True: 150 Years of Mary Sue, by Pat Pflieger American Culture Association Conference March 31, 1999, San Diego, CA.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Fandom by Aja Romano Daily Dot, August 7, 2012.
- How to Speak Fangirl, by Aja Romano Daily Dot, August 6, 2012.
- I’m Done Explaining Why Fanfic is Okay by Aja Romano.
Fan Works Archives and Resources
- Archive of Our Own (created through the Organization of Transformative Works)
- Authors: Fans turned Pro
- Organization of Transformative Works (OTW)