In the winter 2015 issue of YALS, Diane Scrofano’s article on the portrayal of mental illness in YA literature provides an excellent overview of what exists, where there are gaps, and what the future holds. Below are the titles that Diane includes in her article, along with the mental illness focal point of the novel, and a link to information about each title on Amazon.
- Anderson, Laurie Halse. (2010). Wintergirls. Anorexia.
- Blackstone, Matt. (2011). A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie. OCD.
- Halpern, Julie. (2009). Get Well Soon. Anxiety.
- Harrar, George. (2004). Not as Crazy as I Seem. OCD.
- Hesser, Terry Spencer. (1999). Kissing Doorknobs. OCD.
- Hopkins, Ellen. (2008). Impulse. Suicide. Continue reading