Happy Friday! Here’s your chance to catch up on a week’s worth of social media. For me, the new hashtag I learned this week was #yafeministchat. Check it out!
- @esummersbooks #FSYALit: Muslim Representation in YA Lit, a guest post by Kaye M http://www.teenlibrariantoolbox.com/2015/05/fsyalit-muslim-representation-in-ya-lit-a-guest-post-by-kaye-m … via @TLT16 #YAlit #WeNeedDiverseFiction
- @bookishHQ Andrea Gillies shares her thoughts on “chick lit” vs. “great literature” and the books that enlightened her http://trib.al/eqRgrik
- @BookRiot Are there benefits to reading a book you don’t like? You bet: http://ow.ly/MSfP8
- @KidLitCon For writers: “What Are the Great Children’s Literature Writing Retreats?” — @fuseeight rounds them up
- @misskubelik I want more M/F friendships – THAT’S a feminist message teen girls need to hear. You don’t live in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY. #yafeministchat
- @tordotcom 2016 is the year of the superhero for
@booksmugglers Publishing, who has already announced two new acquisitions! http://www.tor.com/blogs/2015/05/book-smugglers-publishing-announcement-2016-superheroes …
- @Kate_Hart Today on
@BadassLadiesYSK, I’m happy to have @kirstenhubbard talking art, adventures, feminism, & coming out. http://www.katehart.net/2015/05/badass-ladies-you-should-know-kirsten.html …
- @wiswell A great piece on better stories about autism in kidlit. Much to think about for adultlit as well. http://disabilityinkidlit.com/2015/04/26/happy-endings-and-overcoming-autism/ … ht
- @CarrieMesrobian YES YES YES “Sex: The last taboo of YA literature? Not anymore!” http://www.salon.com/2015/05/13/sex_the_last_taboo_of_ya_literature_not_anymore/ … via
- @leonicka “THAT’S NOT HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!”
*everyone gives example of POC in history*
“FICTION DOESN’T HAVE TO BE ACCURATE!”
- @bustle 9 true things you never knew about ‘Pitch Perfect’ http://bsl.io/LcI
- @blavity Disney is making a film about an African Princess. Catch is, she’s white http://bit.ly/1JKzFvh
- @YAHollywood Casting news:
@RobMSheehan joining @HaileeSteinfeld in ‘The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight’ http://youngadulthollywood.com/film/robert-sheehan-joins-the-statistical-probability-of-love-at-first-sight/ …
- @kikimag #ICYMI we announced our #giveaway with @millionsofcolor today! So simple to enter, and you can win TWO prizes! #style
- @LEEandLOW Submissions are OPEN for our New Voices Award for authors of color! Spread the word: https://www.leeandlow.com/writers-illustrators/new-voices-award …
- @caseyplett SUBMISSION CALL: Topside is putting out an anthology of spec fic by trans writers. http://topsidepress.com/news/cfs-short-speculative-fiction-by-transgender-writers/ … Dec. 1 is the submit date.
- @AmieKaufman Oh, you guys! The cover for MADLY by
@amy_alward is out! I can’t wait to read this in September! http://www.iceybooks.com/blog/2015/05/madly-by-amy-alward-cover-reveal-and-giveaway.html …
- @MeganShepherd And I’m giving away a CAGE arc and a book by each authors who blurbed it! http://meganshepherd.com/blog/2015/5/13/blurbs-for-the-cage-giveaway …
- @apriltucholke Creepy SLASHER GIRLS ARC giveaway! http://apriltucholke.com/the-great-slasher-girls-monster-boys-arc-giveaway/ … Scare us. Please.
YA Librarianship/Youth Culture
- @ThatAndromeda Hey y’all! Where’s the best writing on race & librarianship these days?
- @JensBookPage “Forced #SummerReading does not make readers out of non-readers; all it does is build resentment” @brainchildmag http://ow.ly/MOpMn
- @courtney_s #ToTheGirls got an awesome shout-out in @TheAtlantic in this article about women mentoring teens http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/amy-schumer-grace-helbig-awkward-older-sister/392006/ … :)
- @therejectionist “I wish someone had told me when I was 13 that it was OK to be a monster”: <3 <3 <3 this from @hazelcills http://www.rookiemag.com/2015/05/hero-status-medusa/ …
- @TheToast Let’s Get Personal: On Full Financial Aid at Fancy Schools | http://the-toast.net/2015/05/13/full-financial-aid-at-fancy-schools/ …
–Hannah Gómez, currently reading Winterspell by Claire Legrand and listening to Smashed by Koren Zailckas