Every year in addition to the Nonfiction Award finalists and award winner, YALSA publishes a list of vetted nominations on the Nonfiction Award webpage after the Youth Media Awards.
If you’d like to learn more about the nominated titles, join us on February 24 at 7pm EST for a booktalk featuring authors that appeared on our 2021 Nonfiction Award Nominations list. Register for free.
Titles that were nominated for the 2021 Nonfiction Award are as follows:
**Finalist on Shortlist
- **All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys’ Soccer Team, by Christina Soontornvat. Candlewick Press. 9781536209457.
- Almost American Girl, by Robin Ha. Balzer + Bray. 9780062685094.
- Apple (skin to the core) by Eric Gansworth. Levine Querido. 9781646140138.
- Banned Book Club, by Kim Hyun Sook and Ryan Estrada. Iron Circus Comics. 9781945820427.
- Blood and Germs: The Civil War Battle Against Wounds and Disease, by Gail Jarrow. Calkins Creek. 9781684371761.
- **The Cat I Never Named: A True Story of Love, War, and Survival, Amra Sabic-El-Rayess with Laura L. Sullivan. Bloomsbury YA. 9781547604531.
- Dancing At the Pity Party, by Tyler Feder. Dial Books. 9780525553021.
- Dragon Hoops, created by Gene Luen Yang and color by Lark Pien. First Second. 9781626720794.
- **How We Got To the Moon: The People, Technology, and Daring Feats of Science Behind Humanity’s Greatest Adventure, by John Rocco. Crown Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Random House Children’s Books, a division of Penguin Random House. 9780525647416.
- Jane Against the World: Roe v. Wade and the Fight For Reproductive Rights, by Karen Blumenthal. Roaring Brook Press. 9781626721654.
- Lifting As We Climb: Black Women’s Battle for the Ballot Box, by Evette Dionne. Viking Books for Young Readers. 9780451481542.
- One Real American: The Life of Ely S. Parker, Seneca Sachem and Civil War General, by Joseph Bruchac. Abrams. 9781419746574.
- Poisoned Water: How the Citizens of Flint, Michigan, Fought for Their Lives and Warned the Nation, by Candy J. Cooper and Marc Aronson. Bloomsbury Children’s Books. 9781547602322.
- Race Through the Skies: The Week the World Learned to Fly, Martin W. Sandler. Bloomsbury Children’s Books. 9781547603442
- *The Rise & Fall of Charles Lindbergh, by Candace Fleming. Schwartz and Wade. 9780525646549.
- Say Her Name (poems to Empower), by Zetta Elliott. Little Brown Books for Young Readers. 9781368045247.
- Stamped: Racism, Anti-Racism, and You: A Remix of the National Book Award-Winning Stamped From the Beginning, by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi. Little Brown Books for Young Readers. 9780316453691.
- Strongman: The Rise of Five Dictators and the Fall of Democracy, by Kenneth C. Davis. Henry Holt and Co. (BYR). 978-1250205643.
- We Are Power: How Non-Violent Activism Changes the World, by Todd Hasak-Lowy. Abrams. 978-1419741111.
- When Stars Are Scattered, by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed. Dial Books. 9780525553908.
- **You Call This Democracy?: How to Fix Our Democracy and Deliver Power to the People, by Elizabeth Rusch. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Young Readers. 9780358387428.
You can also view the list of vetted nominations with annotations on our webpage. Seals for Nonfiction Award Nominees and YALSA’s other book awards are available in the ALA Store and may be purchased in bulk. Visit YALSA’s Award Seals webpage for more information.