When You Look Like Us by Pamela N. Harris; Narrated by Preston Butler III
Quill Tree Books
Publication date: January 5, 2021
Looking like they do, with brown skin, Jay, his friends and neighbors live knowing they are already one step behind. Living in their neighborhood presents its own challenges where drug deals, violence, and both police interference AND ignorance are day to day problems. But now Jay’s sister Nic has disappeared and going missing in their neighborhood isn’t enough to warrant police investigation. Not wanting to worry his grandmother, Jay strikes out on his own to find her leading him into danger and into finding an unlikely friend.
Pamela N. Harris’s debut novel is an edge of your seat thriller rooted in classism and racism. Getting to know his neighborhood, family and friends is a true delight. Butler’s narration as the voice as Jay and his story-telling cadence keeps the listener’s blood pumping as Jay tries to bring his sister home.
For fans of I’m Not Dying With You Tonight by Kimberly Jones and Gilly Segal, and Jason Reynolds’ All American Boys (with Brendan Kiely) and Long Way Down, Kekla Magoon’s How it Went Down. When you Look Like Us will be appreciated by those looking for an exciting and gritty story.
Other Nominated Titles
- You Have a Match by Emma Lord; narrated by Eva Kaminsky (January 12, 2021)
- The Initial Insult by Mindy McGinnis; narrated by Lisa Flanagan, Brittany Pressley & Tim Campbell (February 23, 2021)
- One Life by Megan Rapinoe; narrated by Megan Rapinoe (November 10, 2020)
- Game Changer by Neal Shusterman; narrated by Andrew Eiden and Jennifer Jill Araya (February 09, 2021)
- Last Night at the Telegraph Club by Malinda Lo; narrated by Emily Woo Zeller (January 19, 2021)
The Selected Lists teams read throughout the year in search of the best titles published in their respective categories. Once a book is suggested (either internally or through the field nomination form), it must pass through a review process to be designated an official nomination.
Each week, the teams feature a review of one of the officially nominated titles. Additional titles to receive this designation are listed as well. At year’s end, the team will curate a final list from all nominated titles and select a Top Ten. The previous years’ lists are available on The Hub.