The 2020 Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults list has been announced.
The list is aimed towards young adults aged 12-18 and is drawn from the previous year of spoken-word releases. The committee listened to over 300 titles this year in their quest to choose a myriad of audiobooks that would appeal to all subsects of the teen audience.
- Becoming by Michelle Obama, read byMichelle Obama. Random House Audio, 2018. 19 hours; 16 discs. 978-0-5256-3367-9.
- Dig by A.S. King, read byA.S. King, Mike Chamberlain, Tonya Cornelisse and Kirby Heyborne. Listening Library, 2019. 10 hours, 22 minutes; 9 discs. 978-1-9848-3817-9.
- The Fountain of Silence by Ruta Sepetys, read by Maite Jáuregui, with Richard Ferrone, Neil Hellegers, Joshua Kane, Liza Kaplan, and Oliver Wyman. HarperAudio, 2018. 12 hours, 30 minutes; 10 discs. 978-0-5931-0566-5.
- Heroine by Mindy McGinnis, read byBrittany Pressley. HarperCollins Audio, 2019. 8 hours, 30 minutes; 7 discs. 978-0-0628-8681-1.
- Hey Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka, read byJarrett J. Krosoczka, Jeanne Birdsall, Richard Ferrone, and Jenna Lamia. Scholastic Audio, 2019. 2 hours, 51 minutes; 3 discs. 978-1-3386-0454-2.
- Internment by Samira Ahmed, read bySoneela Nankani. Hachette Audio, 2019. 11 hours; 11 discs. 978-1-5491-4876-7.
- Let me Hear a Rhyme by Tiffany D. Jackson, read by Adenrele Ojo, Korey Jackson, Adam Lazarre-White, and Nile Bullock. HarperCollins Audio, 2019. 9 hours, 30 minutes; 8 discs. 978-0-0629-1433-0.
- On the Come Up by Angie Thomas, read byBahni Turpin. HarperCollins Audio, 2019. 11 hours 45 minutes; 10 discs. 978-0-0628-4069-1.
- Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson, read byLaurie Halse Anderson. Listening Library, 2019. 4 hours; 3 discs. 978-1-9848-8239-4.
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo, read byElizabeth Acevedo. HarperAudio, 2019. 7 hours, 30 minutes; 6 discs. 978-0-0628-8679-8.
YALSA’s portfolio of book and media awards helps strengthen library services for and with teens by identifying quality, age appropriate resources for librarians and library workers to share with the teens in their communities. Learn more about YALSA’s other book and media lists here.
A huge thank you goes out to the members of the 2020 Amazing Audiobooks Blogging Team for all the long hours and great work they put into selecting the 2020 list. Thank you for all your time and effort!
Members of the blogging team are: Coordinator Samantha Neiman, Sun Prairie Public Library, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin; Coordinator Brittany Marie Garcia, Rancho Cucamonga Public Library, Rancho Cucamonga, California; Kit Ballenger, KitonLit, Chevy Chase, Maryland; Dawn Zimmerer Collins, Madison County Library System, Canton, Mississippi; Cyndi Hamann, Arlington Heights Memorial Library, Arlington Heights, Illinois; Danielle Jones, Multnomah County Library, Portland, Oregon; Christie Kimsey, Los Angeles Public Library, Pasadena, California; Teka McCabe, Briarcliff High School & Briarcliff Middle School, Manor, New York; Erin Phemester, Public Library of Youngstown & Mahoning County, Youngstown, Ohio; Dr. Wendy Stephens, Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, Alabama; Sarah Ressler Wright, RB Hayes High School, Delaware, Ohio; Kiera Vargas, Tennessee State University: Language, Literature, Philosophy Department, Nashville, Tennessee.