The moment is finally here! Here are the 2020 Teens’ Top Ten nominees:
- #MurderFunding (#MurderTrending #2)* by Gretchen McNeil. Freeform/Disney Book Group. 9781368026277.
- Are You Listening?* by Tillie Walden. First Second/Macmillan. 9781250207562.
- Aurora Rising* by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. Alfred A. Knopf/Random House Children’s Books/Penguin Random House. 9781524720995.
- The Beast Player* by Nahoko Uehashi. Translated by Cathy Hirano. Godwin Books/Macmillan. 9781250307460.
- Between Worlds: Folktales of Britain and Ireland by Kevin Crossley-Holland. Illustrated by Frances Castle. Candlewick Press. 9781536209419.
- Broken Throne: A Red Queen Collection* by Victoria Aveyard. HarperTeen/ HarperCollins Publishers. 9780062423023.
- Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic* by Sam Quinones. Bloomsbury Press. 9781620402528.
- The Field Guide to the North American Teenager* by Ben Philippe. Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins Publishers. 9780062824110.
- Frankly in Love* by David Yoon. G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers/Penguin Random House. 9781984812209.
- The Grace Year* by Kim Liggett. Wednesday Books/Macmillan. 9781250145444.
- Last Bus to Everland* by Sophie Cameron. Roaring Brook Press/Macmillan. 9781250149930.
- Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me* by Mariko Tamaki. Illustrated by Rosemary Valero-O’Connell. First Second/Macmillan. 9781626722590.
- Lovely War* by Julie Berry. Viking Books for Young Readers/ Penguin Random House. 9780451469939.
- The Memory Thief* by Lauren Mansy. Blink Publishing/ HarperCollins Publishing. 9780310767657.
- My Ideal Boyfriend is a Croissant* by Laura Dockrill. Delacorte Press/Random House Children’s Books/Penguin Random House. 9781984849281.
- Opposite of Always* by Justin A. Reynolds. Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins Publishers. 9780062748386.
- Pumpkinheads* by Rainbow Rowell. Illustrated by Faith Erin Hicks. First Second/Macmillan. 9781626721623.
- Stolen Time (Dark Stars #1)* by Danielle Rollins. HarperTeen/ HarperCollins. 9780062679949.
- Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon* by Mary Fan. Page Street Kids/ Page Street Publishing. 9781624147333.
- These Witches Don’t Burn* by Isabel Sterling. Razorbill/Penguin Random House. 9780451480323.
- Warhead: The True Story of One Teen Who Almost Saved the World* by Jeff Henigson. Delacorte Press/Penguin Random House. 9780525647904.
- Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)* by Rainbow Rowell. Wednesday Books/Macmillan. 9781250146076.
- We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya)* by Hafsah Faizal. Farrar Straus Giroux Books for Young Readers/Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group. 9780374311544.
- Wilder Girls* by Rory Power. Delacorte Press/Random House Children’s Books/Penguin Random House. 9780525645580.
- With the Fire on High* by Elizabeth Acevedo. HarperTeen/ HarperCollins Publishers. 9780062662835.
* Denotes that a book is also available in e-book format.
Congrats to all the nominees! A video announcing the nominees and an annotated list is also available at http://www.ala.org/yalsa/teenstopten.
Teens are encouraged to read the nominees throughout the summer to prepare for the national Teens’ Top Ten vote, which will take place August 15 – October 12. The ten nominees that receive the most votes will be named the official 2020 Teens’ Top Ten. As the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has put a strain on in-person library experiences, this is a great opportunity to better utilize digital resources. We encourage teens to engage in digital resources, especially e-books and audiobooks offered by their libraries.
A digital image of a Teens’ Top Ten seal for nominated titles is available to publishers for licensing. Arrangements can be made through ALA’s Rights and Permissions office for publishers who need permission to reproduce the seal on a paperback edition of book jacket. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary Jo Bolduc, (312) 280-5416 (phone) or (312) 944-8741 (fax) for information.
To learn more, visit www.ala.org/yalsa/teenstopten.